Sunday, February 16, 2014

The Importance of Digital Literacy

Hello! This week I have learned about digital literacy. Digital literacy is your individual ability to navigate and create information digitally.  If you are very digitally literate, then you are considered to be a digital citizen. I am still in my first week of knowing what this skill is, but there are several objectives I would like to get out of the course. I would like to know how to create music on the internet, and learn how to create software. A really cool thing that I would like to learn is how to make an application and upload it on the Android Market and the App Store. I always have liked apps, owning an iPhone myself, but have never got around to buy an app I really like, and that interests me. I would not do this to make money, but to satisfy those around me with the same problem that I have.
I recently read an article about a homeless man and a business man that created an app together. The homeless man was taught to code, and create an application. There is also a video to go with the article: (http://www.businessinsider.com/homeless-coder-2013-9)  The business man gave the homeless man two options, either the business man would give the homeless man $100, or he would teach the homeless man to code. All the work done, was done on a Chromebook.
A friend of mine made a song, using the internet. The song is strictly instrumental. The song is on iTunes and is called Northport. Every part of making this song consisted of the knowledge of digital literacy. He had to pick the editing software, compose the song, edit the song, and upload it to iTunes. All the skills needed to do this could not be possible without digital literacy.
I found an interesting article about digital literacy that tells about the safety of the internet. This website informs one about the online dangers and how to prevent one's kids, or oneself from them. The like for this website is: (http://www.themoreyouknow.com/growing-up-online-read-now/)        This source is a simple online book, consisting of two parts and 17 sections about digital literacy.
I think digital literacy is a very important skill in today's daily life. Everything is become digital, including novels and text books. Navigating the internet and creating simple word documents is becoming more and more complicated, especially to those who are not adapt to any electronics. Everyday life consists of going on and navigating an electronic, whether you are at a job, or school. Digital literacy makes everyday tasks easier and saves you the frustration created by unfamiliarity. Now that I am at PC, I cannot enjoy snow days, because of the internet. All the missed work is handed to us digitally, whether it is through a word document, or edline. Once given the work, teachers can see whether the assignment is completed.
I think digital literacy is very important for everyone because of how fast technology is growing and how prominent it is in our daily life.

5 comments:

  1. The part about the homeless man is really cool. How'd you find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read about that a few months ago on Yahoo!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed hearing about your friend's song, and also think this would be a fun and useful skill to have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chromebooks are that good, that even a homeless person can design apps on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that these days we can not enjoy snow days because of digital literacy. But it is also very helpful so that we do not fall behind in school.

    ReplyDelete